This is a guide to properly installing and configuring PPTP client on a Ubuntu Linux machine.
This guide has been done on Ubuntu desktop 12.04. You can download and install Ubuntu desktop from their official site at http://www.ubuntu.com.
1. Go to Network Tab > VPN Connections then click Configure VPN.
2. Click Add, select Point to Point Tunelling Protocol (PPTP) and click Create.
3. On the VPN tab enter server ip or hostname as Gateway and enter your VersaVPN account username & password then click Advanced. For a list of hostnames you can choose from the My Services link in the client area.
4. Enable the following:
Use Point-to Point Encryption (MPPE)
Allow stateful encryption
Allow BSD Data compression
Allow Deflate Data Compression
Use TCP header compression
And hit the “Ok” button
5. Go to Network tab, select VPN Connections and click the connection name.
6. Wait for the notification message to appear.
7. To verify connection you can go to https://www.versavpn.com and look at the upper left part to check your ip.
Congratulations! You have just been connected to our PPTP Server! Cheers!